Q133: Hi Master Lu, we have a pet at home. When it passes away, how do we perform the transferring of merits to help the pet to proceed to a better place?
- Generally, if you wish to perform the transferring of merits to help a pet to proceed to a better place, you can recite the Amitabha Pure Land Rebirth Mantra (Wang Sheng Chou). For example, 49 times for a cat or a dog, and 108 times for a turtle. It would certainly be better if you can recite more.
- To transfer merits to a pet, you can also recite Little Houses, and address them to “Canine <full name>” or “Cat <full name>”. Generally, you can recite 3 to 4 Little Houses for each pet. If you recite a large quantity of Little Houses for animals such as dogs, cows, etc., it is very possible for them to be reborn into the human realm. However, it is very unlikely for avian or aquatic creatures to be reborn into the human realm.
- If your deceased pets visit you in your dream to send signals for you to perform recitations, you can recite 2 to 4 Little Houses and address them to the “Karmic Creditor of <your full name>”.
- If your pets become ill, you can perform recitations or even recite Little Houses for them. For example, if your dog becomes ill, you can address the Little Houses to the “Karmic Creditor of Canine <full name>”. It would be best if you do not pray to extend the life of your pet. Instead of keeping your pet in the animal realm, it would be better if you could help your pet to eliminate its karmic obstacles due to negative karmas so that it would not be reborn as an animal again. If you really want to help your pet, you can recite the Eighty-eight Buddhas Great Repentance (Li Fo Ta Chan Hui Wen) and Little Houses for your pet. This way, when your pet passes way, it would be possible for your pet to be reborn into a better realm.
- From the metaphysics perspective, it is generally recommended that we minimise the chance of having pets at home, as humans and animals do not belong to the same realm, and our energy field would be affected. However, it would be beneficial to keep goldfish, as they can help to harmonise the Feng-Shui at home to accumulate wealth. The fish tank can be placed on the right hand side as you enter the main door. You can keep 6 goldfish that are gold or red in colour.
- If you already have a large number of pets, you may give them to others if conditions allow. If you are unable to give them away, then you should continue to keep them until the end of their lives, as they also have karmic affinities with you.