Q129: Hi Master Lu, I was born homosexual. I heard that people who are homosexual would be reborn into the underworld, and I am very worried. I really want to live as a heterosexual person, but I cannot do so and I am suffering. Master Lu, please advise what I should do.
- From a Buddhist perspective, homosexual relationships are not promoted.
- Generally, people may be homosexual due to strong karmic ties from previous lives. In addition, because the mark left behind from previous lives is too strong, they may still be thinking about their previous gender in their present life. This is in fact a form of karmic fruit.
- The following is recommended for the Daily Recitation:
- If your personality matches your gender, then you can recite the Great Compassion Mantra (Ta Pei Chou) 7 times per day, Heart Sutra (Hsin Ching) 7 times per day, Eighty-eight Buddhas Great Repentance (Li Fo Ta Chan Hui Wen) 3 to 5 times per day, Jvala Mahaugra Dharani (Hsiao Tsai Chi Hsiang Shen Chou) 49 times per day, and Mantra to Untie Karmic Knots (Chieh Chieh Chou) 21 times per day.
- If a homosexual male is tending towards feminine characteristics, he can recite the Great Compassion Mantra 21 times per day to increase his spiritual power so he can be more masculine.
- If a homosexual female is tending towards masculine characteristics, then she can recite the Heart Sutra 21 times per day.
- You can also recite the Aryavalokiteshvara Bodhisattva Vikurvana Dharani (Kuan Yin Ling Kan Chen Yan) 49 times per day. It would also help if you can say the following prayer, “May the Great Merciful and Great Compassionate Guan Yin Bodhisattva protect and bless me, <full name>, so that my personality will change and I can return to my true self.”
- In addition, it is recommended that you recite Little Houses, make Great Vows, and perform Life Liberation. You can recite 2 to 3 Little Houses per week, with 49 Little Houses as the first batch.
- By continuously performing recitations and cultivating your mind, you will attain a clear understanding of yourself and realise your true nature or true self. You can gradually repay your karmic debts and eliminate karmic obstacles due to negative karmas. Eventually, you will be able to fulfil your wish.
 This entry provides an answer to a person’s specific situation from the metaphysics perspective.