Q113: I have been diagnosed with depression. I am constantly stuck in my own world, have trouble sleeping, and feel irritable and disturbed. What should I do?
- Usually, mental disorders such as depression, epilepsy, etc. can be classified as illnesses relating to karmic obstacles due to negative karmas and foreign spirits.
- These types of illnesses all originate from one’s karmic obstacles and foreign spirits from previous lives. If you have committed serious wrongdoings and generated severe karmic obstacles in your previous lives, then you would experience karmic retributions in your current lifetime. When your karmic fruits have ripened and your Karmic Creditors come to claim their karmic debts, the causality would take effect and the result is that you would develop mental illnesses. This may manifest in the form of feelings of irritability and disturbance, or even lead to you being unable to control your own emotions or willpower. This is because your mind may be controlled by your Karmic Creditor or foreign spirits.
- Once you realise the cause of your illness, you need to perform your recitations with a sincere mind to repent and eliminate your negative karmas, and to repay your karmic debts. The concept of karma and causality is genuine and not false – instead of attributing blame on other factors, you can consider it as an opportunity to reflect and realise that you may have committed numerous wrongdoings to others in the past, and you were unable to accumulate a sufficient amount of virtues. In this life, you will experience the effects of your karmic fruits. Therefore, you must bring forth your mind for repentance and sincerely repent in order to eliminate your negative karmas, and to repay your karmic debts by transferring merits to your existing Karmic Creditors. Once you have eliminated your negative karmas and repaid your karmic debts, then you would be expected to recover.
- It is recommended that you recite the following sutras and mantras:
- Great Compassion Mantra (Ta Pei Chou), recite this mantra 7 times or more per day. You can say the following prayer, “May the Great Merciful and Great Compassionate Guan Yin Bodhisattva protect and bless me, <your full name>, grant me good health, and help me to accumulate and strengthen my virtues.”
- Heart Sutra (Hsin Ching), recite this sutra 21 times per day. You can say the following prayer, “May the Great Merciful and Great Compassionate Guan Yin Bodhisattva protect and bless me, <your full name>, grant me wisdom, and cure my depression (or other mental illness).”
- Eighty-eight Buddhas Great Repentance (Li Fo Ta Chan Hui Wen), recite this sutra 3 to 7 times per day. You can say the following prayer, “May the Great Merciful and Great Compassionate Guan Yin Bodhisattva protect and bless me, <your full name>, help me to repent and eliminate karmic obstacles due to negative karmas that have caused my depression (or other mental illness), and cure my illness.”
- You can recite 3 or more Little Houses per week. Usually these types of illnesses are caused by severe negative karmas. You can start with 21 Little Houses as the first batch, and then recite additional batches of 21 Little Houses according to your condition until you have fully recovered.
- At the same time, you can combine your recitations with making Grand Vows and frequently performing Life Liberation. This would increase the effectiveness of treating your depression.