Q109: Hi Master Lu, I frequently commit sexual misconduct and I started masturbating since I was young. I often have inappropriate thoughts and I cannot control myself. Even though I am now performing Daily Recitation and learning Buddhism, I am still having disrespectful thoughts towards Buddhas and Bodhisattvas constantly. It is as if I have been possessed by a demon of sexual misconduct. I suffer from afflictions every day and I am desperate for help. Master Lu, can I please have a Dharma talk on this issue? Thank you for your compassion.
- If you have displayed these types of misbehaviours since childhood, it is generally originated from the habits from your past life. You must make changes through performing recitations and cultivating your mind.
- You can recite Little Houses and address them to the “Karmic Creditor of <your full name>”. It is recommended that you recite 27 Little Houses as the first batch, and then followed by 7 Little Houses for each subsequent batch until your condition improves.
- Your can include the following for your Daily Recitation: recitation of the Great Compassion Mantra (Ta Pei Chou) 7 times, Heart Sutra (Hsin Ching) 7 times, and Eighty-eight Buddhas Great Repentance (Li Fo Ta Chan Hui Wen) 3 to 7 times. You can combine these with the recitation of Little Houses. When you recite the Heart Sutra, you can say the following prayer, “May the Great Merciful and Great Compassionate Guan Yin Bodhisattva protect and bless me, <your full name>, grant me strength and help me to withdraw from sexual misconduct. Guan Yin Bodhisattva, please bless me with your compassion.”
- In addition, you can also recite the Sri Devi Dharani (Ta Chi Hsiang Tien Nu Chou), and say the following prayer, “May the Great Merciful and Great Compassionate Guan Yin Bodhisattva protect and bless me, help me to eliminate my addiction of sexual misconducts.” The recitation of this mantra provides additional support for you to eliminate this undesirable behaviour.
- In your daily routine, it is also recommended that you be mindful of your behaviour and refrain from reading inappropriate contents in books, magazines, newspapers, etc., and refrain from frequently having inappropriate thoughts.