Q068: Dear Master Lu, after we finish performing our recitations, what should we be aware of? Are there any rituals?
- After you finish your recitation, it is not required for you to perform any particular rituals. You just need to join your palms together and make prostrations. You can recite the following quietly or in your mind, “Thank you Great Merciful and Great Compassionate Guan Yin Bodhisattva for protecting and blessing me, <your full name>.” This is in fact a form of cultivation for our practice, and it expresses our gratitude to the Great Merciful and Great Compassionate Guan Yin Bodhisattva.
- It is best not to drink cold water, stand or sit against a wall, or start a conversation with someone immediately after you make prostrations or perform recitations (within the first 5 to 10 minutes).
- After we make prostrations or perform recitations, a flow of positive energy would enter our body, which offsets the pre-existing negative energy in our body. It also helps us to remove blockages in the meridians. If we drink cold water immediately after, then “Yin” energy from the cold water would enter our body.
- People who like to have ice cold drinks are in fact connecting themselves to “Yin” energy. In the morning when we wake up, it is a brand new day and everything has just begun. At the best time of the day, if you have an ice cold drink, then it is very likely that you would experience misfortune for the rest of the day. Consuming cold drinks would also affect the coagulation of your blood. Generally, if the drink is at room temperature and is not too cold, then it is alright, as long as it does not feel too cold when you drink it.
- Walls are also considered to have “Yin” properties. “High Walls” often refer to prisons. In the past, prisoners were executed while standing against the wall. Therefore, after we make prostrations or perform recitations, it is best not to stand or sit against a wall in order to avoid having your positive energy field affected.
- After performing recitations, it is best not to start a conversation with someone immediately. Your positive energies from performing recitations may leak out during casual conversation if you are not mindful with your speech. The positive energy would also not be able to concentrate. It is best to immerse yourself in peacefulness for a while, and then gradually start conversations with people.
- It is very important to keep in mind that you should be mindful of your speech and refrain from speaking inappropriately, including swearing, arguing, and fighting. The positive energies accumulated from one or two hours of recitation would be depleted within 5 to 10 minutes if you are not mindful with your speech.