Q056: Master Lu, I accidently killed a dog while I was driving today. At that time I gave the owner $100 for compensation, but I still feel very uneasy in my mind. Can you please advise me what I should do in response to this matter?
- You feel uneasy in your mind now because you are affected by your consciousness and conscience. Each day when we cultivate our mind and perform our practice, we are in fact cultivating for our consciousness.
- If you have killed an animal (e.g. a dog) on the road, you should perform the transferring of merits to the animal as soon as possible. You should regard the animal with the same kindness as you would with a human being, otherwise you may experience problems with your lower back and legs. Giving money to the owner of the dog does not have much karmic effect.
- You should recite the Eighty-eight Buddhas Great Repentance (Li Fo Ta Chan Hui Wen) 7 times per day for 7 days, and recite the Amitabha Pure Land Rebirth Mantra (Wang Sheng Chou) 108 times per day for 7 days. Meanwhile, you should also recite 3 to 4 Little Houses (Hsiao Fang Tzu) and address them to the “Karmic Creditor of <your full name>”. When you recite the Little Houses, it would help if you can think of the dog.
- Large animals often contain large spirits, and therefore we should not imprudently kill or eat them. If you have accidentally killed, harmed or slaughtered animals in the past, you need to sincerely repent and properly perform the transferring of merits to them.
- If an animal has been killed on the road by other people, it is best not to touch the body remains of the animal. You can recite some Amitabha Pure Land Rebirth Mantra. Before you recite, in your prayer you should specifically state that you are only transferring merits to the dead animal in front of you. This way you can avoid any potential unnecessary trouble.