Q050: Master Lu, I would like to ask a question. My older brother has a gambling addiction. He gambles all day and does not work at all. When he is broke he forces our parents to give him money. What should we do to help him return to the right path? Master Lu, please help us out of this confusion by pointing us in the right direction, and let us know in detail what we should do. Thank you.
- For a person who has a gambling addiction, it is best to start with reciting the Heart Sutra (Hsin Ching) 7 times per day and let him obtain realisation gradually. This is in fact a transformation process. Even if he does not realise and continues to gamble, the Dharma Protectors would treat him in a gentler manner and not punish him as severely. It would be best if he could recite for himself. If he does not believe in Buddhism, then his family should recite for him and say the following prayer, “May the Great Merciful and Great Compassionate Guan Yin Bodhisattva protect and bless <his full name>, help him to obtain wisdom and to completely relinquish the harmful habit of gambling.”
- If he does not listen to you completely, please recite the Sapta Atitabuddha Karasaniya Dharani (Chi Fo Mieh Tsui Chen Yan) 21 to 49 times per day and say the following prayer, “May the Great Merciful and Great Compassionate Guan Yin Bodhisattva forgive <his full name>.” It is like a child who has done something wrong and is now asking for forgiveness.
- If he is completely addicted, please recite the Eighty-eight Buddhas Great Repentance (Li Fo Ta Chan Hui Wen) 7 times per day and say the following prayer, “May the Great Merciful and Great Compassionate Guan Yin Bodhisattva protect and bless <his full name>, and help <his full name> to repent and eliminate the karmic obstacles due to negative karmas that he has accumulated from gambling.” This is because he has already fully committed these wrongdoings.
- At the same time, you can recite the Mantra to Untie Karmic Knots (Chieh Chieh Chou) and say the following prayer, “May the Great Merciful and Great Compassionate Guan Yin Bodhisattva protect and bless <his full name>, help <his full name> to transform and resolve his negative karmic ties with gambling.”
- If is apparent that there may be foreign spirits occupying his body, then it is necessary to recite Little Houses (Hsiao Fang Tzu) and address them to the “Karmic Creditor of <his full name>”. Otherwise, there is no need to recite Little Houses.
- However, people with a gambling addiction tend to attract foreign spirits easily. The money in a gambling place often involves foreign spirits, regardless of whether it is money won or lost.