It requires tremendous merits to have both partners cultivating together, or to have the entire family performing recitations and learning about Buddhism. If you have already started your cultivation, you can gradually introduce your family members to the Dharma Door. You can give your family members some of Master Lu’s books, and ask them to listen to the radio program if they understand Chinese. If your family members are not interested, you cannot force them. It is best to go with the flow of the karma rather than to force the karma.
You can recite the Heart Sutra (Hsin Ching) 7 times per day for each of your family members, and say the following prayer “May Guan Yin Bodhisattva protect and bless <your family member’s name>, help <family member> to gain wisdom, believe in Buddhism and start performing recitations.” You can continue doing this for as long as necessary.
If you are reciting the Heart Sutra (Hsin Ching) for your family members, it is best not to tell them to prevent their negative emotions from arising, as this can easily lead them to generate negative verbal karmas. If after 6 months, your family members still do not believe in Buddhism, you can lodge an application to Guan Yin Bodhisattva and make your wish.
- Download the Application for Convincing Family Members from <www.GuanYinCitta.com>. Print the application form on an A4 sized, yellow piece of paper (note that this application should NOT be burnt).
- Use a black or blue pen to write the full name and date of birth (e.g. 2001/12/31) of your family member (according to the Gregorian calendar), and your full name.
- Every day during day time (the best time is 8AM), offer oil lamp(s), candle and incense at your altar at home.
- Read out the text on the application form once, and then place the application form on the altar. If your altar is small, you can place the application form underneath the urn.
- Make full prostrations.
- Recite the Heart Sutra (Hsin Ching), generally at least 7 times.
- The above procedure for lodging the Application for Convincing Family Members can be performed once a day.
This is a very serious Dharma Service and should be performed after you have already recited the Heart Sutra (Hsin Ching) 7 times per day for your family members for a period of time (generally for over one month). You should perform this without informing your family members to prevent their negative emotions from arising, as this can easily lead them to generate negative verbal karmas. Once the application has been successful, the application form can be put aside for 1 to 2 months. After this time, you can place the application form in an envelope and then discard it. Please note that the application form should NOT be burnt.