Your name represents your souls and spirits. When your name is called, your souls and spirits follow your name.
When a person is born, the name written on the birth certificate is also recorded in the spiritual realms, including all of the heavens and underworld. If you have changed your name for over one year, your new name may also have dynamic spiritual effects. However, if you have changed your name, it is best to lodge the Application for Name Change. If you have not lodged the application, it is best to use your original name on your birth certificate to perform recitations and to address your Little Houses (Hsiao Fang Tzu).
When you lodge the Application for Name Change, you are also updating your new name with Buddhas, Bodhisattvas, officers who are in charge of name changes in all of the heavens and the underworld, and all other spiritual beings.
You can download the Application for Name Change form from <www.GuanYinCitta.com>.
Print the application form on a piece of A4 sized, yellow paper. Fill in your original name and your new name. On the application form, fill in your original name where it says, “Devotee’s original full name”, and fill in your changed name where it says, “Now changed to” and “Devotee’s full name”. If you are completing the application form for your child, please also write the date of birth of your child, e.g. 2001/12/31.
Please fill in your current location on the form (e.g. “Beijing, China” or “Sydney, Australia”). Please also fill in the date that you burn the form.
It is best to burn the application form on a sunny day. The best times are 8AM, 10AM and 4PM.
You can also hand write the form on a piece of A4 sized, yellow paper.
If there is an altar at home, then you need to offer incense and oil lamp(s) to Buddhas and Bodhisattvas. Read out the text on your application form in front of the altar (you may kneel down). Recite the Heart Sutra (Hsin Ching) 7 times and the Great Compassion Mantra (Ta Pei Chou) 7 times, and then you can burn the application form (burn from top to bottom).
If there is no altar at home, then you need to go to a temple to lodge your application. Make a full prostration to every Buddha and Bodhisattva in the temple, and then read out the text on your application form in the shrine where Guan Yin Bodhisattva is worshiped. “I <your full name> come to <name of the temple> today to pay my respects to all the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas. I sincerely ask the Great Merciful and Great Compassionate Guan Yin Bodhisattva to witness and verify that my original name was <old name> and now my name has changed to <new name>. I sincerely invite all the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas in this temple to be my witnesses.” Recite the Heart Sutra (Hsin Ching) 7 times and Great Compassion Mantra (Ta Pei Chou) 7 times, and then you can burn the application form in the urn where the incense sticks are burnt (burn from top to bottom).
You only need to lodge your application once. If you feel that your name change has not been successful, you can lodge your application multiple times until it is successful.
It is best if you can lodge the Application for Name Change yourself. If a child is too young and is unable to lodge the application, parents or other family members can also lodge the application on behalf of the child.
You do not need to lodge the application for a deceased person. You can address the Little Houses to the full name of the deceased that was used before the deceased passed away.
If you are unsure of your original name, for example, if you were adopted, then you can lodge the Application for True Name. You can download the Application for True Name form from <www.GuanYinCitta.com>.
How to determine whether the Application for Name Change has been successful?
- It is mostly based on the feelings of the owner of the new name. Generally we change our names to improve our conditions. After you have lodged the Application for Name Change, you should feel as if you have opened up your heart and freed your mind, you should feel happier, and your mood should improve immediately. You should also feel that your fortune is changing. If you experience the above, then your application has been successful. If after you have lodged your application, you feel the same or even worse than before, or have bad feelings, then your application may not have been successful, or your new name may not be suitable for you.
- You should recite more Heart Sutra (Hsin Ching). When you recite more Heart Sutra (Hsin Ching), you would obtain wisdom, and you would form a connection and be more aware of your new name. When people call you by your new name, or during special occasions when your name is used, you would know that the new name is associated with you.
- The success of lodging the application is also determined by the energy field. Is your new name used by someone else? If someone else is already using that name, and your energy field is very close to this person, then it would be very difficult to update the energy field that is associated with your name.
- The dynamic spiritual effects are also essential for a successful application. For example, if you have never lodged the Application for Name Change, but you have changed your name over ten years ago, then your changed name should have dynamic spiritual effects since you have been called by this name for over ten years. However, because you have not lodged the Application for Name Change, this new name has not been registered in all of the heavens and other spiritual realms. Therefore, your souls and spirits are likely to be scattered and become incomplete. Once you have lodged the Application for Name Change, you should be called by your new name in full as much as possible. Usually three months or 100 days after you have lodged your application, the dynamic spiritual effects for your new name would be generated.
- You can recite Little Houses to the “Karmic Creditor of <your new full name>”. After you recite and burn the Little Houses, observe if you are still suffering from headaches, bad temper, or nightmares. You can judge whether your application has been successful by the resulting effects of the Little House. If the effects are positive, then it indicates that your Application for Name Change has been successful.
Once you have lodged your application, each day before you perform recitations, you can state your new name in full to Buddhas and Bodhisattvas in front of the altar. This is also very helpful for your new name to take effect.
Before you lodge your application, you can begin by reading out the text on the application form. You can then recite the Great Compassion Mantra (Ta Pei Chou) 7 times, and Heart Sutra (Hsin Ching) 7 times. As the final step, you can burn the application form.
It is best to lodge the application on auspicious days, including the 1st and 15th of the lunar month. The best time is 8AM in the morning. If your application is unsuccessful, you can lodge it multiple times until it is successful.
Generally, as soon as you have lodged your application, you can use your new name to address your Little Houses. If for the time being you are unsure whether your application has been successful, you can address your Little Houses to the “Karmic Creditor of <your new name>, <your old name>”. This format can only be used temporarily as an interim solution and should not be used in the long term.
If your application is unsuccessful after your first attempt, and you have recited and burnt your Little Houses using your new name, then as soon as your application is successful after your subsequent attempt, these Little Houses would take effect.